Country Names With One Syllable

map

There are only five countries which have one-syllable names in the English language. Can you name these countries?

Answer

1. Chad
  2. France
  3. Greece
  4. Laos (Pronounced as “lao”)
  5. Spain

This entry was posted in Language, Puzzles, Trivia and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Country Names With One Syllable

1. scifihammy says:

Yay – I got France, Spain and Chad – but also Wales! πŸ˜€ (Yeah, I realise it may not count, as part of the UK.)

2. Three out of five (Spain, Greece, France)! Extra coffee for me today! πŸ˜„πŸ‘

3. lothloripen says:

When I visited 3/5 places but only remembered two -_- haha!

4. George says:

That’s a great trivia question!

5. allaboutme31 says:

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

6. gypsyleaf says:

Guam would not count because territory correct? I forgot the simple countries…I only got Laos. πŸ™‚ Thanks for this fun bit.

7. I actually have a friend from Laos. I have never been corrected by her as how to say it and I’ve never paid attention to how she pronounces it. Hmmm food for thought and future conversation!

• From what I understand, the French were the ones who called it Laos when they colonized Lao. However, I think that they still prefer “Lao”.

Ah come to think of it, the French usually don’t pronounce the last letter
      (s) of their words. Perhaps, they also pronounce Laos as Lao? πŸ™‚

8. tonyzheng987 says:

The only nation I can think of before entering this post is Kham (medieval Tibetan state)