Multiply by 5 In Your Head

mental-math

Multiplying by 5 mentally is easy since you just divide the number to be multiplied by 2 and multiply the result by 10, (also very simple, by just adding 1 zero to the number or if the number has a .5, just move one decimal place to the right).

Examples:

34 × 5

Thought Process:

1. 34 ÷ 2 = 17

2. 17 × 10 = 170

Therefore, 34 × 5 = 170

63 × 5

Thought Process:

1. 63 ÷ 2 = 31.5

2. 31.5 × 10 = 315

Therefore, 63 × 5 = 315

There are many posts about more sophisticated mental multiplication techniques coming up, though I have to cover the basics first for the sake of completeness.

This entry was posted in Mathematics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Multiply by 5 In Your Head

1. wandaintn says:

My husband does it this way, but I get confused when I try it. I’ll stick with the way I was taught in grade school, my brain doesn’t handle change very well! 😉

2. Brilliant, Edmark. This method is great for my 10-year old daughter. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

3. parkinsons95 says:

Where were you when I needed you in my school years??? Lol. This is awesome. Never to late to learn!

4. parkinsons95 says:

Too late. I need help with grammar, TOO!

• From what I’ve seen from your posts, your grammar is good.

While I’ll never accept even minor grammatical errors on academic papers, it’s not that big of a deal in other types of writings as long as you don’t commit basic errors, and your writings are not ambiguous.

Besides, the English language is a continuously evolving language and it is mostly defined by usage instead of a fixed set of stringent and encompassing rules.

5. Lilly Moore says:

That’s a cool method, I never thought of doing that 🙂

6. Oh! I loved this one. I just didn’t knew this one. Thank you, for sharing such a magical way to multiply anything by 5.

7. Shivangi says:

Wow you are incredible! Thank you for following me… am so happy to follow you back😀

8. This was handy! Thanks for sharing🤗