The Missing Leprechaun Puzzle

At first, there were 15 leprechauns when the three pieces of the puzzle pieces were put together. However, after swapping the two smaller pieces, there are now only 14 leprechauns left. One of the leprechauns has vanished!

So, how is this possible?

This is based on the missing square puzzle. However, no square is missing in this case. Instead, the leprechaun is the one that disappeared. Interesting isn’t it?

This entry was posted in Mathematics, Oddities, Puzzles and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Missing Leprechaun Puzzle

1. scifihammy says:

I remember a puzzle like this as a kid. The trick is in the details – but at first glance it is baffling. 🙂

2. comfykittea says:

Very good, I had to rewatch the video! 😉
    Very entertaining blog!

3. janahpinku says:

That was very confusing haha!

Are you also interested in films with perplexing, mind-boggling themes? It seems to me that there is some kind of an internal logic behind these puzzling things, and once you touch the center of that logic, everything just simply appears clear. Maybe it’s just me. I have always had a hard time trying to figure out puzzles haha.

• I like those kinds of films l8ke Inception and Matrix.
      Yes, if you understand the logic behind most puzzles, then they are not as puzzling anymore. For instance, in this case, if you don’t know the underlying mathematics of the Missing Leprechaun Puzzle, this may look like magic.

However, in some puzzles, even if you know how it works, they are still puzzling and you may still fool yourself!

• janahpinku says:

Yes, Inception is such a sad but beautiful film, not to mention completely frustrating. Memento is a good one too, also from the same director, Christopher Nolan.

Logic and mathematics are totally remote to me, but I understand how rich they are once you enter into their dimensions.

In philosophy, there is a school of thought formulated by the pre-Socratics that the language of the cosmos is expressed through the language of mathematics. In ancient Greece, there is the notion of the Golden Mean and we modern men apply this rule in architecture, photography, digital arts and so on. It is completely fascinating how huge of a role mathematics play in our everyday lives.

• You can find the golden ratio applied in art and archtechture whether they’re applied deliberately or coincidentally. And the golden ratio is also connected to the Fibonacci numbers which made it connected to nature in ways even the ancient Greeks wouldn’t dream of.

Every phenomenon around us involves mathematics in one way or another, even if we currently still have no knowledge of what kind of math is involved. I think that it’s Plato who said that God is a mathematician for he used math in creating the universe.

• janahpinku says:

It is very interesting to think that there is an underlying harmony to the seemingly fortuitous character of the cosmos. Even the first thinkers of antiquity subscribed to the notion of a prime mover or source of the universe, and it’s even more interesting to know that these ancient thinkers were rational to recognize that there exists a pattern or a law that governs the entire cosmos.

I do not discount Plato, for he has an immense contribution to Western Philosophy, but equally there are great minds before them that were the first to inquire about the nature of the universe. Pythagoras, for example.

• Yes, the Ancients are definitely fascinating. The quest of finding patterns to hopefully better fathom the universe goes back way further than Pythagoras. Ancient Sumerians, Babylonians, Egyptians and Chinese have done quite a lot. It’s such a shame that the Library of Alexandria was no more since the bulk of knowledge from the times forgotten where located. There’s also the book burning and burying of scholars more than 2000 years ago during the Qin Dynasty in China. The amount of knowledge lost forever in those events is unimaginable.

• janahpinku says:

To add to the list, India where the Vedas originated. Thankfully, these ancient texts are preserved and persists in modern Indian culture today. But as for the others, yes it is saddening to know that a lot of valuable intellectual works are forever lost in history.

(Also, just to pause for a brief moment from these threads to express my gratitude because I am learning so much from you, sir.)

• India has done a great job at preserving its historical records, especially its religious records. However, prior to around 10th century AD, their historical records are quite sketchy and many of the gaps were filled with speculations. Also, many of the 4-5 million (I think) Indian historical documents have yet been translated, analyzed and digitized so there even now, there is a huge risk for those documents to be lost forever. Just 2 years ago, the Prime Minister of India ordered the destruction of 150,000 original Indian historical documents.

You are welcome and thank you for your kind words.

• janahpinku says:

What was the reason behind the order to destroy these original Indian documents? Is this some kind of a plan to rewrite India’s historical culture?

• janahpinku says:

This is a very helpful insight. I’m going to check the link now. Thank you!

4. Raven Whyte says:

My father bought a copy of the one in the video when I was young. He loved puzzles like that. Someone in my family still owns it.

5. That’s cool. I see how this is done.

6. aquacompass7 says: