A Hidden Message In Shakespeare’s 115th Sonnet

shakespeare

In William Shakespeare’s 115th Sonnet, there is a hidden message which isn’t that obvious at first glance:

THOSE LINES THAT I BEFORE HAVE WRIT DO LIE,
EVEN THOSE THAT SAID I COULD NOT LOVE YOU DEARER.
YET THEN MY JUDGMENT KNEW NO REASON WHY
MY MOST FULL FLAME SHOULD AFTERWARDS BURN CLEARER.
BUT RECKONING TIME, WHOSE MILLIONED ACCIDENTS
REEP IN ‘TWIXT VOWS, AND CHANGE DECREES OF KINGS,
TAN SACRED BEAUTY, BLUNT THE SHARP’ST INTENTS,
DIVERT STRONG MINDS TO THE COURSE OF ALT’RING THINGS:
ALAS, WHY,   FEARING   OF TIME’S TYRANNY,
MIGHT I NOT THEN SAY ‘NOW I LOVE YOU BEST,’
WHEN   I   WAS   CERTAIN O’ER INCERTAINTY,
CROWNING   THE   PRESENT, DOUBTING OF THE REST?
              LOVE IS A BABE. THEN MIGHT I NOT SAY SO,
              TO GIVE FULL GROWTH TO THAT WHICH STILL DOTH GROW.

This entry was posted in Language, Literature, Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to A Hidden Message In Shakespeare’s 115th Sonnet

1. That it’s a sonnet?

Brilliant find or deciphering! You are really great my friend😊

3. beulah888 says:

4. Scott Levine says:

What the what?! That same message is in 18, too!!

5. superwifeandmummy says:

What do you think of the theory that WS never existed ?
    I adore his works, by the way, and this is a fab find of you and your brain.
    But I was wondering if you had an opinion on this …

• One of the main reasons this was theorize in the first place is the records of the existence of Shakespeare is obscure, even his records of birth and death. Also, over the years, a lot of people have found clues which point out that Shakespeare was actually Francis Bacon, though there are also many refutations against such claims.

Other theories suggest that Shakespeare was either a woman, a group of people (‘kin to Nicolas Bourbaki in mathatics), or even an entirely different person who no one knows.

• superwifeandmummy says:

That’s EXACTLY what I’ve read.
        You know what though E, in this world we live in (clichĂ© – sorry! ) where almost everything is obfuscated, hidden from us or in some cases we are blatantly lied to by ‘the powers that be’ let’s say, NOTHING surprises me.
        Thanks for your great answer

• We have to sift through a lot of BS just to find some grains of truth… and we’re not guaranteed that those are the truth.

• superwifeandmummy says:

Yep. Absolutely .

6. J. McSpadden says:

Hmmm…perhaps it’s because I just rolled out of bed but I don’t see it. Care to clue in a caffeine-less brain?

7. The whole of the Sonnets contains a very profound secret (an immense secret) that “mostpeople” are oblivious about.

from Walt Whitman:

Shakspere-Bacon’s Cipher

****************************************

I doubt it not—then more, far more;

In each old song bequeath’d—in every noble page or text,

(Different—something unreck’d before—some unsuspected author,)

In every object, mountain, tree, and star—in every birth and life,

As part of each—evolv’d from each—meaning, behind the ostent,

A mystic cipher waits infolded.

8. WaltPage says:

That’s really cool!

9. I don’t get the hidden message, care to explain, E?

10. cgdtaylor says:

hi Edmark

Not quite on the topic but you might be interested in this story I heard a number of years ago…

When Nelson Madella’s was imprisonment on Robin Island, one of his fellow prisoners was allowed just one book from home. He chose the works of Shakespeare which he disguised as Hindu scripture to prevent its confiscation. Then, when secretly circulated, each inmate annotated the passage that meant most to him.

No matter who might have written ‘Shakespeare’s plays’, I just wish I could write like that.

Best wishes with your writing.

• Thanks for reminding me of it. I read this a few years ago. In fact, I just found it on my notes.

The story was really interesting. Mandela marked the passage,

“Cowards die many times before their deaths,
      The valiant never taste of death but once.”