Mark Twain On Golf

220px-mark_twain_brady-handy_photo_portrait_feb_7_1871_cropped

The following two famous golf quotations, often repeated by golf aficionados and golf publications, were attributed to Mark Twain:

• “It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”
  • “Golf is a good walk spoiled.”

However, there is another little-known quotation about Twain’s thought on golf published in the June 1905 edition of Strand Magazine:

I’ve been studying the game of golf pretty considerably. I guess I understand now how it’s played. It’s this way. You take a small ball into a big field and try to hit it — the ball, not the field. At the first attempt, you hit the field and not the ball. After that, you probably hit the air or else the boy who is carrying your bag of utensils. When you’ve gone on long enough, you possibly succeed in obtaining your original object. If the boy’s alive, you send him off to look for the ball. If he finds it the same day, you’ve won the game.

This entry was posted in Humor, Quotations and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Mark Twain On Golf

1. Thunder Poet says:

Ahahaha…… We can always expect something like this from Twain. XD

Haha!! I will not be able to erase the boy carrying utensils…whenever I see a caddy with a golf bag!!😁

3. Fluid Phrase says:

Hahaha! Super funny!

4. comfykittea says:

Aaah I love this quote 😀 very funny!

5. 🙂 Funny stuff!
    I was just telling my neighbor today how i golfed a few times and was very good at it… but felt that it was a rather ridiculous game.

6. George says:

The best definition of real gold that I’ve heard.

7. Arbie says:

Perfect! The next time I am criticized for my golf skills I shall just say “I play like Mark Twain,” flick my hair and check the bag boy’s pulse.

8. sportsdiva64 says:

Omg, he is so right about golf. Another comedian here in the states called it, “men in ugly pants walking.” Thank you so much for liking my blog post on Baltimore . I so appreciate it when fellow bloggers enjoy my posts . Thanks again .

9. I am sorry but I really found your website boring 😞😞😞😞😒😒😒😒

• Well, you don’t have to apologize for that since like all blogs, my blog isn’t for everyone. Some may like the things that I post while others would think that they suck.

Nonetheless, I’d like to know why you find my blog boring. Your opinion may help me improve my blog in the future.

Thank you for visiting anyway.