The Truth-Teller And The Liar Puzzle

truth lie.jpg

Veritas and Truth are sisters. One of them (we don’t have any idea who) always tells the truth while the other always lies. Alex questioned one of them:

“Is Truth the one that lies?”

“Yes,” she replied.

Did Alex speak to Veritas or Truth?

Solution

Before I present the solution, think about this: Would someone who either always tells the truth or always lies call himself a liar?

The answer is obviously no. If someone always tells the truth, he would say that he is not a liar. Similarly, a person who constantly lies would also deny that he is a liar.

This is the basis for our solution. We can now conclude that Alex spoke to Veritas. Why? As stated above, neither the constant truth-teller nor constant liar would say that she is a liar. We know that one of the sisters is always telling the truth and the other is always telling lies. This means that when Alex asked whether Truth was the one who always lies, only Veritas could answer affirmatively.

Anyway, we still don’t know who among the siblings is the liar. Just for fun, can you think of one question (you can only ask one of them) that would enable you to determine which of them is the liar?

This entry was posted in Puzzles and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to The Truth-Teller And The Liar Puzzle

1. I think there’s a trick here that I’m not fully comprehending….but I like it….

I am not good at this but if I could ask a question it would bluntly be…are you lying? Truth we know will never lie…I think…but I may be wrong too ha ha!

🤔…now I am intrigued. But Veritas is a liar right? Estanlished fact. So Truth gotta be telling the truth and so Veritas is the liar? Garfield logic may not work here haha!

• Lol 🙂

So far, we had only established that Alex spoke to Veritas. However, we still don’t know who among the sisters is the liar 🙂

• Garfield Hug says:

🤔Garfield gives up…meow😁

• You may want to have a look at the video shared by gc-photo-art in the comments section. That was essentially the answer that I was looking for. Watch it until the end 🙂

• Garfield Hug says:

👍ok!! Thanks for the tip! LOL! Good night & rest well🤗

• Here’s tge video for your convenience

• Garfield Hug says:

Thanks! I prefer the “tree frog” – but it was not deduction and logic. Hmm then I am an illogical person LOL! Double negative – the other village…still don’t quite get it but it is the way of paraphrasing a double negative to get the right answer from a liar I guess. – if you can from the other village…..then it lost me!! Sigh! Care to help me understand better Edmark?

• It may not be a deductive logic but it’s an inductive logic.

Yes, something like that. You can also ask, “If I ask you if you are from the liars’ village, would you say no?”

The truth teller will certainly answer “yes” since he’s from the truth tellers’ village.

On the other hand, the liar won’t admit that he’s from the liars’ village if you question him. But by also adding if “he would say no”, you have forced him to answer “no”. This in effect made him admit that he’s from the liars’ village.

Anyway, in real life, you need both deductive and inductive reasoning to determine whether someone is lying. That’s why asking weird and seemingly illogical questions is a standard interrogation technique.

• Garfield Hug says:

I cannot thank you enough for teaching me this. I am learning valuable mathematical reasoning from you. Garfield hugs🤗and thank you for your passion in sharing😊

4. They used this scenerio in “Labrynth”. Sara thought she figured it out, but did she?

5. Love Alchemy says:

Reminds me of how 1 + 1 = 0 🙂

6. Silent_Dan says:

Ask them if they’re a frog… I like it! (unless they ARE a frog in human form, they can only say no and it’d be the truth, since they’re not a frog and that’s ridiculous).

7. Graham says:

Are you asleep?

8. Gregoryno6 says:

The Tree Frog scene is the essence of Zen simplicity. The wise man constructs laborious traps of logic; the fool cuts through with a question as sharp as a sword.
    “Ahhhhh! Not fair!” cries the wise man….

9. Pingback: Truth or A Lie – Making Money Online