Edited Out

draft

Thomas Jefferson’s first draft of the United States Declaration of Independence had a passage condemning the slave trade:

He [George III] has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian King of Great Britain.  Determined to keep open a market where Men should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or restrain this execrable commerce.  And that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people on whom he has obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed again the Liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

However, it was removed by the Congress.

Reference

Pauline Maier, American Scripture: Making the Declaration of Independence, 1998

This entry was posted in History and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Edited Out

1. Graham says:

Interesting isn’t it? You might argue that things haven’t moved on a great deal since then…or indeed since the Middle Ages…with all of the racist rhetoric being bandied about by political figures in recent times.

2. ADEDEJI says:

Change must remain a mystery before we can appreciate it.

3. ADEDEJI says:

I need your help on some thing. A guest post, I would really love if you would help me on this one coz I am publishing my E-Book

4. sportsdiva64 says:

How hypocritical of Jefferson . He had slaves and even fathered children with his slave, Sally Hemmings, but HE’S condemning England’s slave trade? Smh.

5. Makes us wish no editing was allowed back then. Thanks for following me over at Roughwighting!

6. Very interesting!
    We still have a lot of racial prejudice and psychological separative sickness!

7. Great share here Edmark always great to learn a bit of history

8. Reblogged this on Everyone Else Has the Best Titles and commented:
    Wow, if it’s true then it’s pretty cool.

9. rezinate says:

Interesting on a couple levels – one being as already pointed out that Jefferson was a slave owner and secondly that the Constitution is often touted as a great humanist document.
    Apparently the concept of Humanism was confined to the perceived slavery of the “founding fathers” and colonists while the slavery of Indigenous people, Africans, and the practice of indentured servitude had little if any relevance.