Mid-Autumn Festival: Victoria Park Lantern Display

Victoria Park Hong Kong

The Mid-Autumn Festival (or what we call Jūng-chāu Jit in Hong Kong ) is a festival celebrated on 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar with a full moon at night. People like to eat mooncakes during this time so this festival is also known as the “Mooncake Festival”.

Since the lunar calendar is different every year, the Mid-Autumn festival may be held in mid-September to early October. This year, the festival falls on October 4, which is today.

In Victoria Park, Hong Kong, there is a lantern display held annually during the Mid-Autumn Festival. The lantern display began on September 30 this year. There are several places in Hong Kong that have lantern displays but the one in Victoria Park is the most popular among the locals and tourists. As the Mid-Autumn Festival approaches, the number of people that goes there also increases. During the day of the Mid-Autumn Festival, it is almost impossible to walk inside of the park due to the large volume of people.

That’s why I normally don’t go there. But this year, a friend who lives in that area texted me last Saturday (the first day of the lantern display) to visit the park. He told me that there are not that many people. This is mostly because tourists from Mainland China would only arrive in Hong Kong the next day (October 1). Once they get here, they would be here for a while since they have an 8-day holiday in China, from October 1 to October 8.

So I went to Victoria Park that night to see what’s the hype is all about. I can’t say that I was disappointed since I enjoyed my time there. However, I was not that impressed, considering all the hype around it. Fortunately, there was not that many people indeed so I was able to take some photos with little difficulty:

Then after a while, it suddenly rained:

Anyway, these pandas look quite awesome:

Though my favorite is this one:

20170930_221525.jpg

This entry was posted in Miscellanea and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Mid-Autumn Festival: Victoria Park Lantern Display

1. ivors20 says:

Fascinating, again something new I’ve learnt, and your lovely pictorial display is excellent and enlightening, Thank you Edmark…

2. It’s beautiful! I miss Hong Kong…

3. Arbie says:

Lovely pictures, especially when it began to rain! Thank you for sharing these! What does a mooncake taste like? 🌷

4. This is a special celebration. Enjoyed all the photos! Spectacular!

5. Great photos, you’ve captured a wonderful display. Love the reflected colours after the rain!

6. dtills says:

Beautiful pictures! This reminds me of the Chinese festival we went to in Spokane Washington, many of those displays were similar to the ones you have shown. Love the lights at night and the food! Thanks for sharing 🙂

7. Happy Jūng-chāu Jit, 8mark! The emoji lantern is awesome. ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_

Always festive! I forget how pretty HK is during this mid autumn festival! Enjoy your mooncakes!!😃

9. Wow these pics are stunning!! And it looks like such a good event!

10. Loved all the colours and beautifully captured in your photos! Thank you!

11. natuurfreak says:

Looks wonderful is like things who happens every 2 year in the Zoo in Antwerp

12. craftysurf says:

Incredible! I’ve never heard about that- thanks for sharing pics! 👍

13. It looks like great fun! Yes, those pandas are special, aren’t they? Thank you for braving the rain.

14. I love these lanterns! I love the idea of this festival. I’m glad you did go and took pictures and shared this with us.

15. aquacompass7 says:

How beautiful and pretty!

16. Great photos. Looks like fun. Yet, tradition doesn’t have to be something fantastic. It just always is, a cultural stability. And it seems dynamic enough to change with the times. I have always wanted to visit Hong Kong. This inspires me to make it there sooner.

17. Beautiful!! I’ll visit HK soon again. Thanks for this! Visit mine if you have time http://gwendolyntravels.com/2017/09/28/the-best-of-hong-kong-and-macau-in-3-days/ 💕