A Not-So-Straightforward Math Puzzle

numbers

The following is a puzzle from Rational Amusements from Winter Evenings (1821) by John Jackson:

If from six ye take nine, and from nine ye take ten
(Ye youths, now the mystery explain;)
And if fifty from forty be taken, there then,
Shall just half a dozen remain.

Can you figure out what’s going on? This is not an easy one so you may take your time.

Solution

Have you figured it out? Simple arithmetic alone won’t solve this. You must apply your knowledge of math, Roman numerals, and wordplay to crack this puzzle.

Here’s the solution:

SIX – IX = S
    IX – X = I
   XL – L = X

There are more puzzles similar to this in the abovementioned book. If you like this kind of puzzle, then let me know and I’ll post a few more of them.

This entry was posted in Language, Mathematics, Poetry, Puzzles and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to A Not-So-Straightforward Math Puzzle

1. craftysurf says:

Holy Schnikes 🤪

2. Lovely puzzle!! Enjoy and learnt both

3. 3C Style says:

I enjoy puzzle like this. Thanks for sharing.

4. Jack Shalom says:

Nice puzzle. I tried working with Roman numerals, but didn’t get the trick of using them in conjunction with actual words. That was very sneaky!

5. skullwoman says:

Nice brain teaser to try to solve over morning coffee. Thank you!

6. paolsoren says:

It is so good to know that somebody remembers Roman numerals.

7. My partner liked the challenge, & enjoyed playing round with roman numerals. He would be happy for you to post more!

8. Kanti Burns says:

Yes, but there is another solution. From 6 take 9, you’re left with -3. From 9 take 10, you’re left with -1. So we have -4. From 50 take 40, leaves 10 … 10-4=6 and 6 is half a dozen.

9. emmitsomo says:

holy shit… I am bad at math, so it’s said at least, but I figured it out in one go??? I got into some severe trouble with my math teacher earlier, when I figured out the most difficult question on the sheet in a test, but left all other easy questions unanswered, due to no time, but she would not believe it. She rather thought I was about to anger her… Well, I still would think I am the most stupid pupil of all and of all time. I just had some other info, did I ? Who knows.. . I don’t even know myself. ☻♦
    I always read words in other/different meanings and take it quite far, so there is always a solution at hand…

10. Pingback: Another Not-So-Straightforward Math Puzzle | Learn Fun Facts