Happy New Year 2018! (And Mathematical Facts About 2018)

Slide1.JPG

This numerical coincidence that I found is quite poetic. The way I see it, 2017signifies the end of 2017. This is followed by a countdown which concludes with an exclamation welcoming 2018.

Is this a sign of a good year ahead? Who knows. It’s difficult to rely on numbers to answer this kind of question. After all, there’s also this:

2018 = 666 + 666 + 666 + 6 + 6 + 6 + .666… + .666… + .666…

I’ll just hope for the best and plan for the worst, as the adage goes. Either way, I wish you all a very Happy New Year. Wishing you good health and happiness. Have a great year ahead.

Notes

• 20170 is equal to 1.
  • “!” is referred to as a factorial sign and 0! is equal to 1.
  • 0.666… is a repeating decimal which is equivalent to \frac{2}{3}. Thus, \frac{2}{3}+\frac{2}{3}+\frac{2}{3}=2.

More Mathematical Facts About 2018

The following are more facts that I discovered about the number 2018. Some of these facts were gleaned from The Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (OEIS). They are marked with (A######). It’s difficult to research about numbers there. I’m not sure if I’d do it again.

Summation New Year

happy new year 2018

Image: Shutterstock

The ∑ symbol is called summation and the equation above can be simply written as:

2018 = 12 + 22 + 32 + 42 + 52 + 62 + 72 + 82 + 92 + 102 + 112 + 122 + 132 + 142 + 152 + 162 + 172 + 182 – 12 – 22 – 32 – 42 – 52 – 62

Symmetrical New Year

happy symmetrical new year.jpg

Image: Flickr

Another Countdown Pattern

A few days ago, I found another 2018 countdown pattern and I included it in a comment to Iva Sallay’s post on Find the Factors. She made a GIF of the countdown and she gave me permission to post it here. So, here it is:

2018 new year countdown math

Yet Another Countdown Pattern

I don’t know what to think on this one. On one hand, it looks cool. On the other hand, the symmetry is rather off:

2018 = 218 – 217 – 216 – 215 – 214 – 213 – 212 – 211 – 210 + 29 + 28 + 27 + 26 + 25 + 24 – 23 – 22 – 21

An Interesting Pattern

happy new year math.jpg

Image: Planwalpaper

This is a fascinating one. What I like about this is its simplicity. The pattern is also elegant.

It only contains 2’s, 3’s, and 4’s. Also, it employs all the four basic mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) together with exponents and radicals.

Anyway, the Chinese characters (written in Chinese Traditional) mean “Happy New Year”.

Semiprimes

The year 2017 is a prime year since 2017 is prime, and the next prime year will be in 2027 which is still several years away. But don’t worry. While 2018 is not a prime year, it’s still an interesting year nonetheless as it’s a semiprime in several ways.

2018 is the 36th semiprime of the form + 1, where is a prime number (since 2017 is prime):

2018 = 2017 + 1

There are 672 semiprimes of this form below 100000. The next number with this property is 2138 (A077068).

In addition, 2018 is the 32nd semiprime of the form p2 + q2, whereand are two distinct primes.

2018 = 432 + 132

The next number with this property is 2042 (A103558).

Primes

2018 is part of several number sequences for generating prime numbers (using specific formulas). I have chosen three of them for this post.

2018 is the 20th in the sequence (A271882). Thus, \frac{10^{2018}+101}{3} is prime.

2018 is the 19th in the sequence (A274336). Thus, \frac{16(10^{2018}-91)}{3} is prime.

2018 is the 15th in the sequence (A282351). Thus, \frac{13(10^{2018}+437)}{9} is prime.

Miscellaneous Facts

• With 1’s, 2’s and 3’s: 2018 = 2(31)2 + 3(31) + 3
  • 2018 = 452 – 7
  • 2018 = 2 +  33 + 43 + 53 + 63 + 73 + 83 + 93. It’s a shame that there’s a non-cube number in the series. We have to wait 6 more years before we can add 23.
  • January 1, 2018, falls on Monday. The last year this happened was in 2007 and the next year this happens again will be in 2024.
  • 2018 is a blue moon year. This means that there will be two full moons in the same month in 2018, which will occur in January. There will also be a supermoon on January 30.
  • 2018 can be expressed as the sum of four different and nonzero fourth powers (A176197):

2018 = 24 + 34 + 54 + 64

This entry was posted in Mathematics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to Happy New Year 2018! (And Mathematical Facts About 2018)

1. Anonymous says:

What a great blog! I teach 6th Grade at a Waldorf School in Oregon and I’d love to follow your writing! I was born in 1970, the Year of the Dog and am SO happy that it’s the Year of the Dog in 2018! I also love even numbered years and so am happy for that reason too.
    I have painted a picture to celebrate the Year of the Dog 2018.

2. David Redpath says:

Happy 2000 + 18. Edmond
    ( I like to keep things simple
    whenever I can )
    ~ David
    the Highwaybloggery Man

3. PoetSpeak says:

Fascinating! Thanks for liking my post!

4. Pingback: Happy New Year 2018! (And Mathematical Facts About 2018) – Vietnam Travel & Trade Portal

5. Pingback: Happy New Year 2018! (And Mathematical Facts About 2018) – Vietnam Travel & Trade Portal

6. Pingback: Happy New Year 2018! (And Mathematical Facts About 2018) — Learn Fun Facts – NewYearsEve2018

7. Pingback: 2018 | mycosmicadventures

8. 2018
    2+0+1+8=11
    1+1=2
    Happy New Year!!!

9. Why do you need calculus for business? An accountant uses basic math and algebra.

• ?

I don’t know why you asked this question here but I’ll give my opinion I suppose.

Accountants indeed don’t really need calculus. They have better things to do like revising the ever-expanding accounting standards and finding loopholes in tax codes.

However, large businesses use calculus for analyzing things like marginal cost and revenue, price in relation to demand, etc.

And, and calculus is used a lot in economics and portfolio management.

10. Clever graphics! Wishing you a great year ahead. Enjoy 2018 and all it’s ramifications!

11. ESP xtruck says:

one of the best posts of 2018 🙂 and a year left to better the record.

12. Pingback: A New Year for This Blog (2018) | Beyond the Precipice

13. thank you learnfunfacts
    Fantastic blog
    Good luck to you
    happy new year 2018

14. kertsen says:

Playing with numbers is a wonderful pastime and we humans are always seeking significance in everything around us. I suppose that is why mathematics is the skeleton on which the flesh of science is constructed. Among the cosmologists today we have those who believe the universe is mathematical just as Pythagoras did all those centuries ago.
    The great danger of predictability is it can lead us into a sort of astrological outlook and the next step is not to walk under ladders.

15. @Paul says:

Great! Happy New Year!!

16. Vayuputrii says:

It’s amazing Sir 🙂 happy twenty eighteen

17. Oops… typed too fast… meant “appreciation”. And I can’t blame the typo on too much champagne. Keep Blogging and making us “think!” 🙂

18. Incredible – I have a new appreciate for how we, numerically, got to 2018! Happy New Year!

19. Pingback: 1009, a Prime Factor of the Year 2018 | Find the Factors

20. Interesting, as always! 💯
    Happy New Year, Edmark! 🎉🎈🎉

21. nice one.. Happy New Year

22. Happy New Year! 🙂

23. Rebel Girl says:

Happy New Year! Glad to have found your site.

24. foodzesty says:

Have a Happy New Year!!!

25. Very interesting! Thank you for sharing! Happy New Year!

26. This made my day! Happy New Year, Edmark.

27. Jack Shalom says:

Terrific, thanks. And you made this dullard look up the meaning of semi-prime number: a number that is formed by multiplying two prime numbers together. The nice takeaway from what I read was that because of the unique factorization of semi-primes, there is only one rectangle to be made from 2018 objects: in this case, a 2 x 1009 rectangle.

Here’s one more little fun fact: 2+0+1+7=10; 1+0= 1; 1+2017=2018

28. Great post!
    Happy new year

29. jim- says:

That’s awesome. I guess we have numbers on the brain. My post has math today too. Albeit a different problem. Good post Steve!!

30. Cloud Walker says:

May all your factors be blessed in 2018

31. magarisa says:

Brilliant! Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!

And, if you take 2018 and reverse it, you get 8102. If you reverse THAT, you get 2018 again. Imagine what a waste of time it was reversing it in the first place.
    If you put ‘8102’ on a calculator, it spells “BIOS”. If you reverse the vowels and make each consonant into two consonants that either add up to the original consonant or at least part their hair on the same side, you get the word “MELVIN” which is an anagram of “Vilemn” the Egyptian goddess of numbers and leaky rafts. If you do the same thing to the word “EGYPTIAN” you get pretty tiresome after a while.
    Spooky… isn’t it?

• This is interesting so I’ll give it a try.

EGYPTIAN can be anagrammed to EIAYGTPN, the Egyptian God of Anagrams, Obscenity, Debauchery, Rock Music, and Darkness. Now, I tried to Combine Egyptian and Darkness to see what happens. It turned out that EGYPTIAN DARKNESS can be anagrammed to GETS AN INKY SPREAD, which could make sense I suppose.

As we are now talking about Egyptians, why not talk about pyramids as well! THE EGYPTIAN PYRAMIDS can be anagrammed to A HEAD-TIPPING MYSTERY! (Hah, didn’t expect that).

Hmm, I’m getting tired so I’ll stop now.

33. Peter Klopp says:

Absolutely brilliant and somewhat scary exploration of what might be in store for us in 2018!

34. I’ll try to figure it out later. Happy new year, 8mark! ( = ฅ^・_・^)= ฅ= ฅ= ฅ ฅ

35. franklparker says:

Fabulous! Thanks for liking my New Year post.

36. Ady says: