Quotable #34: Rumination

quotable

“I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now.”

— A graffiti found at a ladies’ washroom in Ninth Circle Restaurant, 139 West 10th Street, New York, cited in Edwin Fenton, The Humanities in Three Cities, 1967

This entry was posted in Quotations and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Quotable #34: Rumination

1. Pingback: Poetic Prisoner

2. Josephwrites says:

Yearning to be young again.

3. This is so interesting!

4. emmitsomo says:

Well… I am mostly a zero, a five, or a six, when I press “like”. That is weird, isn’t it? So I know, what I probably am, only I don’t know ever what I am at the very moment. The next moment always is another number…

5. anne leueen says:

This made me smile. I can recognize that feeling but I do not want to go back in time to be that age again.

6. B. says:

I am glad not to be what i was… but… i would also like to retrieve some things i lost on my way..

7. David says:

Seems to be a sad sentiment reflecting an unfulfilled dream or goal. Kind of wishing for a redo.

8. ivor20 says:

Not being a lady, I’d wash my hands of that one.

9. Presumably she’s in the washroom suffering from morning sickness then?

10. The wisdom of learning to enjoy the present!

11. Viola Bleu says:

Hilarious but so poignant also … love it!

• Indeed.

It depends on the perspective, I suppose. Personally, I’m happy of what I am now. Though I can imagine that many will agree with this grafitti.

• Viola Bleu says:

Indeed. Having been through an 11-week self esteem course, I’ve been sat in a room on occasion with people who were questionning so much about their lives. Too much to write about here in a reply to your post … but I like that your posts make me think, for longer than 3-4 seconds, y’know? I like that 🙂