Lewis Carroll’s Curious Square Poem

The following is a curious “square poem” attributed to Lewis Carroll:

I often wondered when I cursed,
Often feared where I would be—
Wondered where she’d yield her love,
When I yield, so will she.
I would her will be pitied!
Cursed be love! She pitied me …

This poem appeared in Trevor Wakefield’s Lewis Carroll Circular, No. 2 (1974). According to Wakefield, this poem was cited in a letter to The Daily Express (January 1, 1964). The letter sender wrote that there was a privately printed book entitled Memoirs of Lady Ure. Apparently, Lady Ure stated that the poem was written by Carroll for her brother. However, Wakefield said that no one had ever found a copy of Lady Ure’s Memoirs. Whether this is the case, I’m uncertain.

Now, you may be wondering why I referred the poem above as a “square poem”. Well, I created this square matrix to make it easier for you to figure out why. Can you see what’s remarkable about this poem?

square poem

The poem can be read both horizontally and vertically.

There is no way to know for sure if Carroll really wrote this poem unless more concrete evidence can be unearthed. But whoever wrote it, he or she did an excellent job.

Related Post

A Palindromic Epitaph

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Lewis Carroll’s Curious Square Poem

1. Pingback: Lewis Carroll’s “Double Acrostic” Poem | Learn Fun Facts

2. englepip says:

Thanks for the explanation.

3. Taylor Lynn says:

Wow, that’s remarkable..

4. Pingback: 3C Crush: My Best of the Blogosphere this Week

5. Pingback: Square Poem: If we both fall in love | InkBlots and IceBergs

6. That is incredible, regardless of who wrote it.

7. 3C Style says:

Gorgeously cool! Proof that often what seems simple enough to do is indeed a lot more complicate.

8. Heidi Viars says:

So cool!!!!!! This made me write one 🙂 … will post it tonight!

9. here article about mathematics in poetry. it very interesting. at least simple brain of monkey think it interesting. https://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/images/upload_library/4/vol6/Growney/MathPoetry.html#OULIPO

10. Like this, both clever and profound. First example I have read.

11. Pingback: Lewis Carroll’s curious square poem | No. Right. No. Wrong.

12. rishhu says:

Wow.

That’s nothing. I once wrote a palindrome that was fifty thousand words long. The first half of it was great. The last half, sadly, was unintelligible nonsense…

14. Smitha V says:

Reblogged this on What Life said to Me and commented:
    A square poem. Interesting read.

15. Smitha V says:

Wow! Reblogged this.

16. Reblogged this on suzannebowditch and commented:
    Love this poem, have to share!