A Verse Full Of Footnotes

footnote

Edward Edwin Foot seemed to like using footnotes in his poems. For example, the last stanza of his poem “The Fallen Leaves”, published in The Original Poems of Edward Edwin Foot (1867) contained three footnotes:

Altho’ we* mourn for one now gone,
And he — that grey-hair’d Palmerston,†
We will give God the praise,–
For he, beyond the age of man,‡
Eleven years had over-ran
Within two equal days.

*The nation.

†The Right Honourable Henry John Temple, Viscount Palmerston, K.G., G.C.H., &c. (the then Premier of the British Government), died at “Brockett Hall,” Herts, at a quarter to eleven o’clock in the forenoon of Wednesday, 18th October, 1865, aged eighty-one years (all but two days, having been born on the 20th October 1784). The above lines were written on the occasion of his death.

‡Scriptural limitation.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Verse Full Of Footnotes

1. iamjirah says:

wow! I love that the footnotes are all over!

2. hermitsdoor says:

I can understand footnote on translation of a poem, say Ovid*, from a time and culture** different from ours, thus needing explanation… but for a poet to add foot notes for his contemporaries*** to understand what he is referring to… hmmmm.

* 1st century AD poet, who compiled Greek mythology into the text known as Metamorphasis.
    ** okay, our western culture is based on Greek culture, thus not really that different from ours, but how many Greek myths does we recall, other than those use in Marvel Comic books and movies?
    *** I am asuming that most poets write for contemporary audiences of peers

👍🏾****

**** emoji indicating that I like what you wrote

3. henrywm says:

When you mentioned poetry with footnotes, the first thing I thought of was T. S. Elliot’s “The Wasteland,” which was filled with footnotes.

4. Peter Klopp says:

Interesting! The first time I have seen a poem with footnotes.

5. Abigail says:

Wow. I love poetry, but I haven’t until now read poem where the author added footnotes. Did he maintain this through the whole poem?

6. B. says:

Oh my… almost gives me headache.. 😉 :-p 😀

Allow me to pause for a bit
    (i.e., e.g. and to wit)
    Perhaps an ispe dixit
    will fix it
    It’s hopeless, my misspellings are so numerous and thick
    that it makes me [sic]