My Site Got Accepted To WordAds… What Now?

cropped-cropped-cropped-header2.jpg

Out of curiosity, I applied my blog to WordAds yesterday morning not expecting any feedback for a while. Then last night, when I checked my blog, I saw numerous ads on it which was strange since I knew that my ads were turned off. Thus, I asked WordPress support about it and I got a reply that my blog was already included in the WordAds program. That was surprising since nobody notified me about it.

I didn’t think that my blog would be accepted that quickly as I read that it usually takes weeks or even months for that to happen. All things considered, my traffic isn’t really that great but maybe having a large percentage of the traffic coming from North America helped.

The point is, I am not certain whether this is a good thing. After all, I haven’t thought about running ads on my blog before.

When I first saw the ads, there were even ads on the sidebar which messed up the positionings of my widgets. Fortunately, I could turn them off. Now, the ads that remain are — one at the top of the blog, one at the bottom of a post and one at the start of an archive. I’m not sure how much these ads would slow down my blog. My internet speed is fast enough to offset any decline of the average load time of my blog so I can’t test it here. Let me know if anyone of you experiences a significant increase in loading time.

Are the ads too large or annoying in your browsers? Ads are different for every country. In Hong Kong, most of the ads are small but it seems that the areas for ads are huge. So, please tell me if you think that the ads are intrusive.

Anyway, it would be awesome if I could at least earn enough cash to pay for my web hosting expense, though I doubt it. Perhaps, I will make an update on how much I’ve earned next month so we could laugh at it.

This entry was posted in Miscellanea and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to My Site Got Accepted To WordAds… What Now?

1. Jason Frels says:

I see an ad for squarespace, which is strange on a wordpress site.

2. SPIDER says:

How can i apply for wordads

3. how many visitors every month until your blog received?

4. Nice blog! I am also a Math blogger.
    By the way, what is the blog address of your friend whose blog about Chinese literature has around 16 million page views per month? I am also interested in Chinese literature.
    Thanks!

5. natuurfreak says:

mij zegt reclame niets ,zelfs als ze er voor betalen, zouden ze me niet kunnen boeien

6. natuurfreak says:

Tot hiertoe leest het nog gemakkelijk.

7. ethugamer says:

Just for reference, I have a small site at ethugamer.com and is enabling Wordads (WP.com) where I wrote about video games guide – which is fairly new, last month I got 22k views and earn 15$ for that matter.

8. Rebel Guy says:

I like that the ads are relevant to my likes .

9. Rini says:

Never say never. Everyone starts somewhere. 🙂

10. craftysurf says:

I’ve noticed ads coming up on my blog too, but I thought I wasn’t supposed to have ads unless I requested it. I’d really rather not.
    When I was on Blogger, I think I made all of 20 bucks over 3 years off of those stupid ads 😂😂😂

11. anne leueen says:

I read your posts on Reader and so it’s does not seem to be any problem.

12. No problem here reading your blog. 🙂 I pay a little to get the ad-free format and the web address without the wordpress address as part of it.

13. foodzesty says:

I was accepted into WordAds in October 2017…Generated revenue a few dollars and cents so far.

14. I’m reading this on my phone and the ads were placed okay. Good luck with them!

15. Jack Shalom says:

I pay for the premium package to avoid ads. I feel it looks more professional and gives more credibility to a blog. I think the ads I’ve seen on sites look larger than they did a number of years ago, and worse, now they have moved in some cases to video ads. I think the video ads are particularly noxious.

I’d be glad to contribute a dollar annually to sites I read often to pay for a premium package that would eliminate ads on them. For the twenty sites I visit regularly, it would only cost me about $20 a year, and if a blog gets a hundred contributors or more, that would pay for it.

• When we turned off the ads our page load times
      were considerably quicker, also switching off the
      sharing button made load times much faster.
      The $3 a month to switch off ads was worth it.

It would be interesting to find someone who is
      making big money from WordAds, who knows?

• Here, I don’t see any difference. But as I said, my internet speed is fast enough to make the difference inconsequencial. Certainly, this will be more apparent on slower internet connections.

I doubt that there are that many people who can even make decent earnings. My former classmate’s gaming blog has 5 million page views a month but he told me that he only earn around $3000 to $3500 from ads per month which is very small considering his traffic.

• I agree as ads can distract and annoy readers.

I have been using Adblocker for 10 years so I haven’t seen internet ads for quite some time. It can also block those YouTube ads that many are complaining about.

I occasionally contribute a dollar or to bloggers, artists or YouTubers that I support on their Patreon accounts. Indeed, a small amount of money from a large group of contributors can be of great help.

• Jack Shalom says:

So, Edward, if you’d like to start an ad-free campaign for yourself, you’ve got at least this dollar coming your way 🙂

• If there was a way to select ad options that were
        relevant/ related to the blog it would be much more
        advantageous for both parties. Personally we avoid
        GMO products, so having Monsanto ads on our page
        would be the last thing we wanted. If there were ad
        categories the blogger could chose from (ethical for
        example) it would be much better than just whatever
        ads WordAds algorithms would choose to display.

16. cmapillay says:

Woo hoo! Looking forward to your revenue numbers!! 🙂

17. Did not notice any change in the loading time, nor the Blog itself, except for the word “Avertisements” in very small print at the left top of the page, above your Banner. I use the WordPress Reader, also. Interesting post! Thanks for sharing, Edmark! 💞

18. Good topic! I’m curious to know if the ads that clutter up our sites do indeed generate some $$, or are we allowing advertisers to place ads on our sites without much return. Let us know from the back end. GREAT IDEA to try and pay your WordPress annual fee. That would be worth it.

19. B. says:

I read your posts through reader so… I don’t notice anything different… keep us updated!:-)

20. Peter Klopp says:

I paid for the premium package at WordPress in order to avoid the ads. Time will tell if it was worthwhile for you to have these annoying distractors on your otherwise beautiful blog site.

21. Congratulations on the approval.

22. An interesting post, by the way 🙂

23. The ads are not bothersome to me, and I’d love to know if you earn money off of them!!

24. Not a fan of ads… period. But I know a great deal of Internet content is free and available to the public because of ad revenue so unfortunately, it’s a necessary trade-off.
    The ads here didn’t affect load time, nor are they distracting.

25. Abigail says:

The ads don’t seem to have delayed load time, and they haven’t intruded on content. I don’t mind ads on website, given that SO MANY sites have them, so one must adapt…
    Congratulations on acceptance to WordAds!

26. Indira says:

Web hosting charges? Hmm… not a bad idea 🙂

27. Andrea says:

I have tried to implement ads so many times, I just don’t understand how it works 😦
    Many people seem to be annoyed by ads. Honestly I always read blogs in wordpress mode, so I don’t even see them.
    So, ad away 😀

• I don’t really mind ads as long as they aren’t intrusive. I even whitelist some sites that only display a reasonable number of ads on Adblocker to support them. Unfortunately, most ads on the web are very annoying. I will not whitelist YouTube though, as their ads are getting more and more troublesome.

Anyway, what’s more annoying are sites that block their contents unless you whitelist them. This is stupid and an obtuse business model in my opinion. Several large sites like Forbes and Tweak Town do this. I know that the smart thing to do is to either just whitelist those sites or just ignore them. However, I have a little vindictive edge against this type of websites. So, every time I encounter a site with an anti-adblocker (or even anti-anti-anti-adblockers), I just run a script to counter their silly scripts…

28. Hi Edmark.
    There’s no apparent delay in loading your site that’s noticeable to me, and the adds aren’t intrusive. I’ve certainly come across larger adds in other people’s blogs.

Not noticing any speed difference.

30. Miriam says:

I applied to AdWords about a year ago and was rejected. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with your Ads. The two ads I’ve seen don’t seem to interfere with anything visual …

31. I have an uncomfortable relationship to ads… On one hand, I hate them. They’re usually ugly and boring, and they are always created to manipulate our minds as much as possible. On the other hand I’d love to get paid for blog traffic… 😀

32. I do love it when addictions pay for themselves.

33. I apparently have ads on my blog but I have never seen them there.

34. Deb Whittam says:

To ad or not to ad … that is the question