Quotable #40: Tools

Henry David Thoreau

“Men have become the tools of their tools.” — Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

This entry was posted in Quotations and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Quotable #40: Tools

1. Silent Hour says:

About the quote: True.
    About growing filters: no no no!

2. Christian says:

Haha, seriously? I think Thoreau was far ahead of his time.

• Abigail says:

With his fierce support of civil liberties for slaves, unions, and women’s suffrage, he was ahead of his time in more ways than one.

• Christian says:

What I meant was that Thoreau could not have been aware of our heavy use of gadgets like the smartphone. In his times sewing machines were tools. I think for somebody like Thoreau who lived in the woods and who craved to live in the woods like a Jack-in-the-Green all those “tools” we use are dispensible.

• Abigail says:

Oh, no, I understood your meaning. My reply was a poor attempt at humor. Thank you anyway for the explanation.

3. Sugiro que você coloque um tradutor em seu blog. Facilitaria a vida dos estrangeiros que desejam compreender e ler mais rapidamente! Obrigado! 🙂

4. David says:

19th century equivalent of saying the robots are taking over?

5. Peter Klopp says:

The quote from Walden by Thoreau reads like a powerful prophecy on our present time.

6. Roadtirement says:

Thought provoking quote, and interesting additional commentary on beards.

7. ivor20 says:

Yep, the plumber in me agrees.

8. Deb Whittam says:

Edmark I have a question for you – why in the era of this quote did men choose only to have beards? Did they have any idea how ridiculous they looked?