Learn Fun Facts’ Monthly Miscellany, February 2018

Random Ramblings

Multiple Blogs

cropped-cropped-cropped-header2.jpg

I admire people who could manage multiple blogs. It’s hard to think how they pull it off considering that I already find it difficult to manage one. Blogging takes a lot of time and commitment. It’s not about just creating content, then doing nothing. Promoting your content and interacting with your readers are also important parts of blogging. All of these require a large amount of time. Yeah, I could just write keyword rich content and let SEO do its magic, but where’s the fun in that?

I want to create one or two more blogs, one about pure mathematics (the math that you wouldn’t want to appear on Learn Fun Facts) and the other, a personal blog I suppose. However, I’m not sure if I could be able to do it due to time constraints. I’m afraid that having multiple blogs would adversely affect the quality of all my blogs as I have to divide my attention between them.

Perhaps, I’ll try to create another blog in the future. I hope that I would be better at managing my time by then.

An Ill-Considered Design

There is a Dim Sum restaurant called Autumn Moon in Mong Kok (Hong Kong) which is worthy of contempt. I’m not even talking about its subpar quality of food as it’s another story. The problem with this restaurant is its design. The restaurant is located on a lower ground floor which can be accessed using an escalator — no problem there. What irks me is that you have to climb up 30 something steps of stairs to get out of there. Yes, you heard me right. There is an escalator for going down but you need to use the stairs to go up. I wonder how many levels of dull-wittedness is required for someone to come up with this idiocy.

Like most Dim Sum restaurants, a large percentage of its customers are elderly people. While many of the old folks here are still strong enough to walk up stairs, that doesn’t mean that all of them can do so without difficulties.

Wouldn’t it be more logical to make the escalator go up?

Plural of a Plural

maxresdefault

While watching a video of a performance of Beethoven’s Trio in B-Flat Major (Opus 11), it randomly occurred to me that besides opuses, opera is also the plural of opus. Of course, the plural of opera is operas. I think that this is pretty neat.

Monthly Likes

“You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious, nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.” — Sydney Smith, letter to Bishop Blomfield, 1840

Curious Links

18th Century Illustrated Animals by Keisai Kuwagata (Spoon & Tamago)

Significant Archeological Finds (Moco-choco)

Oldest known photographs of cities around the world (Abroad in the Yard)

Tesla: Master of Lightning (Neatorama)

Dual Tessellation (MathWorld)

Literature

William Cowper, two years after the publication of his translation of Homer’s Iliad, received a letter from a 12-year old Thomas Hayley, dated March 4, 1793, containing some criticisms of his translation:

HONORED KING OF BARDS,–Since you deign to demand the observations of an humble and unexperienced servant of yours, on a work of one who is so much his superior (as he is ever ready to serve you with all his might) behold what you demand! but let me desire you not to censure me for my unskilful and perhaps (as they will undoubtedly appear to you) ridiculous observations; but be so kind as to receive them as a mark of respectful affection from your obedient servant,

THOMAS HAYLEY

Book I, Line 184. I cannot reconcile myself to these expressions, ‘Ah, cloth’d with impudence, etc.’; and 195, ‘Shameless wolf’; and 126, ‘Face of flint.’

Book I, Line 508. ‘Dishonor’d foul,’ is, in my opinion, an uncleanly expression.

Book I, Line 651. ‘Reel’d,’ I think makes it appear as if Olympus was drunk.

Book I, Line 749. ‘Kindler of the fires in Heaven,’ I think makes Jupiter appear too much like a lamplighter.

Book II, Lines 317-319. These lines are, in my opinion, below the elevated genius of Mr. Cowper.

Book XVIII, Lines 300-304. This appears to me to be rather Irish, since in line 300 you say, ‘No one sat,’ and in 304, ‘Polydamas rose.’

Cowper penned a reply on March 14, 1793, thanking Hayley for his excellent observations. Here is a part of the last section of the letter:

The accuracy of your last remark, in which you convicted me of a bull, delights me. A fig for all critics but you! The blockheads could not find it.

Mathematics

\frac{11480^2+11481^2+11482^2+11483^2+11484^2}{8117^2+8118^2+8119^2+8120^2+8121^2}=2

Are there any other examples of this kind?

Art

Strandbeest Evolution

Video

This is an old one so you may have seen it somewhere before. Nonetheless, I still think that this clip is funny.

Music

Einen Jodler hör ich gern was originally sung by the Yodel King, Franzl Lang. I think that Takeo Ischi did this song justice and I like his enthusiasm as well.

This entry was posted in Miscellanea and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Learn Fun Facts’ Monthly Miscellany, February 2018

1. fizzrepulian says:

Good wishes if you decide to start another site, i will be visiting there too 🙂

2. Hello I am new on wordpress. I write poems. It would be great if you could check out my page.. thankyou

3. JD Bond says:

Well, regarding whether there are any other examples of the mathematics that was displayed in this post, I know of one fairly more trivial example, in that it involves smaller numbers. (6^2+7^2+8^2+9^2+10^2)/(1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2+5^2) = 6.
    Not sure if that helps or not. There are other more interesting ones I’m sure.

4. barryh says:

How do you know I don’t want to see that math on this blog? Does a blog have to have a consistent theme? Mine doesn’t.

• Well, maybe YOU want to see it but many of my readers wouldn’t what on earth I’m talking about if I write about, say, topology and number theory.

Niche in blogging is not a rule. It’s just that there are some niches that are highly specialized that it’s a good idea to have a site dedicated for them, e.g. C++ programming and “Beauty and Fashion” blogs. That way, it’d be easier to attract readers who like those niches.

Most people do this for monetary purposes as it’s simpler to increase traffic if you have a niche and know what you are doing. But for others, it’s just a way to find readers who like a particular theme.

This blog does not have a niches. While the main theme is “fun facts”, it’s too broad to be considered a niche so I can write about a large number of topics.

5. 3C Style says:

Personally, I could not manage another blog with my work and the kids. I also do need some time for myself as I like to read, exercise and see my friends. I understand that you might want to separate the “personal things” from this blog, especially if you get very personal or write about topics such as mental health. But the way I see it is that both sides are part of you. And the fact that you are a complex individual makes it even more interesting. I started my blog with the interest of writing about fashion and making links with science and research in the hope of bringing meaningful information. Slowly my followers asked me personal questions. They wanted to know me better and I was not sure if I should go on that road. I did. I’m glad I did it as it made me more accessible. Since then I have a lot more interactions with my WP friends simply because I know them better. I find now that blogging is a lot more interesting. Hey, that’s just my opinion. Do what your intuition tells you to do! Or better yet find a mathematic formula to solve the problem. Just trying to be funny here. 😉 Good luck Edmark.

6. Danice G says:

Very insightful post. I manage 3 blogs, and it does require much time and work. Although I am not selling anything, it is still a lot of work. There is joy in all of it though. Best of luck to you..

7. ellie894 says:

What a fun assortment this morning! Thank you. Best wishes if you decide to begin another site! There are time constraints trying to make it all work and you have such a great and successful site here already. 😊

8. Peter Klopp says:

I see the same problem with managing more than one blog. One also needs to consider our own personal well-being, as with each additional blog we begin to burden ourselves with new time commitments. Thanks for pointing this out to us!

9. Abigail says:

I agree with you about the pressure of maintaining more than one blog. I have the same view on multiple blogs as you expressed to Felicia: I wouldn’t want one to have regular updates and the other to have occasional. I’d want to run both on the same posting “schedule.” Perhaps that is just a trait of organization-happy, semi-perfectionists like myself?

How is business at the Autumn Moon restaurant? Does its inconvenient access points deter customers? A recent read, Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping, addressed marketing and store layout issues like the escalator predicament at Autumn Moon. Dedicated customers might consider the hike up the stairs worthwhile, though your description of the food makes me question the value of time spent, but by and large wouldn’t it prompt guests to other dim sum spots?

The literature section was my favorite part of this post. That Thomas Hayley had remarkable literary insight, twelve years old or not.

• It’s only been opened for a while so business is good. But as I said in another comment, the restaurant industry here is highly competitive. It’s not easy to compete with many excellent competitors. So, restaurants do all their best to stay in the business. Causing inconvenience to customers (many of them are senior citizens) is not a good start.

I can see it working in other countries and I may be able to think of examples, but it won’t work in HK. People here like and value convenience above many things. If you can’t offer it to them, then you can kiss your business goodbye.

10. secundsite says:

UUMMM…opera is plural for opus…OK, the first thing I thought of after reading opus and opera in your post Hayley, was ‘modus operandi’ which is plural for let’s see, a police investigation at an opera house?…t.i.c.

11. Jack Shalom says:

“Wouldn’t it be more logical to make the escalator go up?”

More logical in terms of convenience for the customers, yes. But the restaurant’s mission is to get customers *into* the store; they will do everything they can do to entice them inside. But once they have eaten and paid, their concern for their customers diminishes.

Which reminds me of a line from a Marx Brothers movie where Groucho says to an heiress of a large department store fortune, “Marry me, and your concern will be my concern.”

Great blog, you’re doing here, Edmark. Only you know what kind of time, energy you have. I’m sure your other blogs would be very interesting.

• And that’s their folly. The restaurant industry in Hong Kong is fiercely competitive. Fooling their customers to eat there once means nothing if they can’t convert them. They will be eaten alive over time and they won’t even have enough cash to pay for the expensive rent. I have seen this happened too many times here.

Also, convenience is important here in HK. If a business can’t offer that, then it will quickly disappear.

Saw that movie a long time ago though I can’t remember the title.

Thanks. Yeah, that’s why I doubt that I could do it now. Maybe I could try later when I have more time…

12. ivor20 says:

A super excellent post Edmark, and there’s no way I could have more than one blog, I’ve not enough time to do just one. Anyone that has more than one, obviously has a “Blog Secretary”

13. I maintain two blogs and it’s not that much work because I decide when and what to post. One blog is daily and one is whatever I want to be. Make out a schedule that works for you..once a week, once a month…you’re running things.
    Oh, and I was chased by my aunt’s cow when I was thirteen. I did, run but the guy in the vid definitely out-screamed me! LOL! 😀

• That’s the problem for me. If I have another blog, I would want it to be updated as often as possible.
      The trick here is to decide how often it should be updated… While I want it to be daily or at least every other day, I have to be realistic.
      Also, I have to determine which of the blogs should be my main blog (the one that I would update more often).
      I’ll try to make another blog after I figured all of these out.
      Legend has it that he was still running… 😃

14. Blog on mathematics! Seems cool….!

15. Isabelle says:

Lovely post. A personsl blog is brilliant. I would love to read it.

16. Hannathegrace says:

What’s SEO? Sorry…

17. John says:

I had two blogs a while ago, one where I wrote about everything, most joke which I love. But as you say, it´s a huge job, and I felt that it was a must to update the other blog, and it´s not fun when it feel lika a must, it shall be fun to blog.😊