A Riddle That Might Make You Angry

Here’s a trivia. There are only two “common” words which end in “-gry”: angry and hungry. The puzzler named “Nightowl” mentioned the old “-gry” words riddle in her Rochester, New York, newsletter The Ag Mine, Mar. 1997:

A local newspaper columnist found the first logical explanation I have seen of that so-called riddle. The correct version of the riddle is ‘Think of words ending in ‘-gry’. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something we use every day.

If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is. The answer is language, which is the third word in ‘the English language’. Most versions of the riddle change the wording and make it insoluble. Let’s hope this puts that ‘riddle’ to rest.

Further Reading

Words that End in Gry (fun-with-words)

What is the Third Common “-Gry” Word? (Merriam-Webster)

This entry was posted in Language, Puzzles and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A Riddle That Might Make You Angry

1. nicholesuomi says:

I think xkcd gave this a good treatment.

2. @runkum@r says:

Hi

Sent from my Samsung device.

3. Excellent, thanks for the “Who’s on first”, word riddle.

4. joem18b says:

i’m from hungry. is this making fun of hungrarians?

5. It also may query ‘what is the third word?’ – yes. Now we’re in abbott and costello territory!

6. Augury is necessary to answer this puzzle, since there IS no other word. This puzzle is a hoax.

7. ellie894 says:

I have a friend who gets angry when she gets hungry. So, she combines them and says she’s “hangry”… I guess she has a third word to the riddle 🙃. Thanks for the fun 😊

8. puzzleblume says:

If I am hungry, I get angry – there is no place for something third. ^^

9. UUUGGHH!!!! I KNEW IT, but didn’t…

Kind of like the riddle, “What color shirt is the bus driver wearing?”

11. Oh, my. Here I thought that “gry” was a new spelling for grey. Yes, I will crawl back into my hole.