Inconsistent Propositions

0_vQq35vOwTuj1XN6o.jpg

It was said that when mathematician and philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) was at a dinner party, he stated that “it is useless talking about inconsistent things, from an inconsistent proposition you can prove anything you like.” This can be illustrated using mathematical methodologies as simple as algebra. However, Russell was too good for just using petty algebra tricks.

Thus, when someone exclaimed, “Yeah, right. Can you prove it?”

Russell replied, “Name an inconsistent proposition.”

“All right, how about 2 = 1?” the man said.

“That’s good enough,” Russell remarked, “what do you want me to prove?”

“I want you to prove that you are the pope,” the man challenged.

“That’s easy,” Russell said, “the pope and I are two, but two equals one, therefore, the pope and I are one.”

This entry was posted in Anecdotes, Mathematics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Inconsistent Propositions

1. Very, very clever!

2. V.M.Sang says:

He was a very clever man. I would hate to have had an argument with him.
    Love this one, though.

3. Jack Shalom says:

Prove: I am a better logician than Bertrand Russell.
    Proof: No brain can out-think Russell; I have some brains. Therefore I can out-think Russell.

Or maybe I read his books in my undergraduate studies 😊

Witty indeed! I cannot remember where I have heard the name Bertrand Russell before. I feel as if he was one of my professors at University of Oregon🤔

6. Thunder Poet says: