What I Don’t Like ‘Bout Haiku

can-you-haiku-web.gif

Image Credit: HubPages

What I don’t like ’bout
Haiku is that when I am
Just beginning, I

This entry was posted in Humor, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to What I Don’t Like ‘Bout Haiku

1. Meg Farlee says:

I think haikus are one of the most difficult type of poetry to master. Few can do them well, expressing a complete thought or painting a vivid picture. The majority I have read just leave me scratching my head.

2. 🤗🤗🤗!!! 🤣

3. David Redpath says:

. . . just want to shout
    without a poetic ending.

4. craftysurf says:

Best haiku in a while 😂

5. Deb Whittam says:

Now that is great – I struggle so much with the form

6. your post was so clever!!!!:D

7. Hi thanks for the entertaining post. Can I reblog this please? Ta!

8. Abigail says:

Haiku is certainly a test of writing ability. Any writer can express his or her thoughts in limitless words; it takes a control of perception to achieve the same in the seventeen syllables allowed by a haiku.

• Writing Japanese can be more difficult as it’s not based on the number of syllables, but sounds (on). For example, “Nippon” has two syllables but four on (ni-p-po-n).

• Abigail says:

Huh, I didn’t know that. Yes, that would make writing haiku in Japanese even more difficult. Now I’m curious about how actual Japanese haiku, not English translations of Japanese haiku, sound. I’ll have to look around for some examples…

9. I tried to Haiku
    but nothing seems to work well
    So you can go to

10. Squid says:

😂😂😂 So accurate!!

11. Clever! Personally I don’t much care for poetry of any kind, and haiku drives me up a wall. But maybe that’s only because I’m not capable of writing poetry.

12. B. says:

😀 😀 😀 😀

13. Then try a tanka
    It uses five then seven
    Syllables you see
    Another seven line four
    Seven syllables line five
    Great post

14. lilie215 says:

There was an article yesterday about the 5-7-5 no longer being definitive of haiku. And, originally the 5-7-5 referred to Japanese syllables.

• It has always been the ‘basic’ rules to be broken at artist’s liberty. It’s just that overdoing it doesn’t impress anyone so people don’t do it too often (^O^)

• It’s actually sound, not syllables. That’s where the confusion starts. This is almost similar to the meter used in Chinese poetry.

• lilie215 says:

OK, it has taken me forever on this dang device. I t won’t let me type Edmark. Keeps changing to Edward. Aaarrgghh! Got the spellcheck temporarily under control. Anyone know how to stop this? I’m sorry Edmark, didn’t see it to begin with. Geez.

15. Frances D says:

I can’t stop laughing!

Haiku from a master like Basho is a joy to read. Most haiku isn’t that.

17. Yes, the number of syllables is important. When I was young, I attended a new poets’ club. They provided us with a brief explanation what the original text contained and we had to strictly follow the haiku rules and make it Latvian. It was a good exercise because it made one to really choose the words and include the meaning within such very brief lines. Writing haiku and tanku is a big art, it’s not really what we are seeing on the internet when every short writing is called a haiku. I used to like exactly that: the strong alignment of poetic verbal figures within the brief pattern of syllables. It tests one whether they are good enough to being able to transfer the emotional load from their imaginative scene into a short poem.
    I like your approach explaining it, it seems funny!

• The system of meter used by the Japanese is different. They don’t count syllables but sounds. That’s why most Japanese haiku are a lot shorter.

So, while I have anything against the 5-7-5 syllables being used in English, I don’t think that it should be strictly implemented. However, it’s another story if you don’t follow the proper form of an Englslish sonnet when you claim that you wrote one…