20 Thought-Provoking Quotes About Reading And Thinking

books

“He might be a very clever man by nature, for all I know, but he laid so many books upon his head that his brains could not move.” — Robert Hall, when asked whether he thought that Dr. Kippis was clever, The Works of Rev. Robert Hall, Vol. 3, 1860

The bookful blockhead, ignorantly read,
With loads of learned lumber in his head.

— Alexander Pope, “An Essay on Criticism”, 1709, cited in The Poetical Works of Alexander Pope, 1840

“To buy books would be a good thing if we also could buy the time to read them. As it is, the act of purchasing them is often mistaken for the assimilation and mastering of their content.” — Arthur Schopenhauer

“It is not enough to simply teach children to read; we have to give them something worth reading. Something that will stretch their imaginations — something that will help them make sense of their own lives and encourage them to reach out toward people whose lives are quite different from their own.” — Katherine Patterson

“The enormous multiplication of books in every branch of knowledge is one of the greatest evils of this age; since it presents one of the most serious obstacles to the acquisition of correct information, by throwing in the reader’s way piles of lumber, in which he must painfully grope for the scraps of useful matter, peradventure interspersed.” — Edgar Allan Poe, Southern Literary Messenger, Vol 2, October 1836

“Even when reading is impossible, the presence of books acquired (by passionate devotion to them) produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more books than one can peradventure read is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity […] we cherish books even if unread, their mere presence exudes comfort, their ready access, reassurance.” — A. E. Newton

“The multitude of books is making us ignorant.” — Voltaire

“You read too much and understand too little.” — Robert Jordan

“The flood of print has turned reading into a process of gulping rather than savoring.” — Anon.

“Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, but to weigh and consider.” — Francis Bacon

“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
— Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind, 2001

“Those who have read about everything are thought to understand everything, too, but it is not always so; reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours. We are the ruminating kind, and it is not enough to cram ourselves with the great load of collections.” — John Locke, The Philosophical Works of John Locke, 1843

“To take Measures wholly from Books, without looking into Men and Business, is like Travelling in a Map, where though Countries and Cities are well enough distinguished, yet Villages and private Seats are either over-looked, or too generally marked for a Stranger to find. And therefore he that would be a Master, must draw by the Life as well as copy from Originals, and join Theory and Experience together.” — Jeremy Collier, Essays Upon Several Moral Subjects, Vol. 2, 1732

“Most men have learned to read to serve a paltry convenience, as they have learned to cipher in order to keep accounts and not be cheated in trade; but of reading as a noble intellectual exercise they know little or nothing.” — Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

“Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writing so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.” — Socrates

“I am always chilled and astonished by the would-be writers who ask me for advice and admit, quite blithely, that they “don’t have time to read.” This is like a guy starting up Mount Everest saying that he didn’t have time to buy any rope or pitons.” — Stephen King

Dear little child, this little book
Is less a primer than a key
To sunder gates where wonders wait
Your “Open Sesame!”

— Rupert Hughes, “With a First Reader”, cited in William Lyon Phelps, The Advance of the English Poetry in the Twentieth Century, 1918

“There are some people who read too much: the bibliobibuli. I know some who are constantly drunk on books, as other men are drunk on whiskey or religion. They wander through this most diverting and stimulating of worlds in a haze, seeing nothing and hearing nothing.” — H. L. Mencken, cited in The Australian Library Journal, Vol. 20, July 1971

“Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking, just as the man who spends too much time in the theater is tempted to be content with living vicariously instead of living his own life.” — Albert Einstein, taken from an interview with G. S. Viereck, “What Life Means to Einstein”, Saturday Evening Post, October 26, 1929

This entry was posted in Quotations and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to 20 Thought-Provoking Quotes About Reading And Thinking

1. Great quotes. I enjoyed reading themT

2. Nice quotes, esp. for book lovers 🙂

3. my852life says:

Beautiful quotes

4. Pingback: 20 Thought Provoking Quotes Of Reading And Thinking | a inspiraars

5. Loved each and every one of them, especially the chewed and digested one! Can’t tell how you inspire people so much through these amazing posts. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post, I’m reblogging it a day after tomorrow!
    You seem like a super hero to me now 😀 who keeps on saving many book lovers and inspiring them to read more and more

6. parkdalear says:

A lovely collection of quotes about reading. I might take exception to HL Mencken’s quote about those who read too much!

7. Juliajewell says:

Oh my gosh that first one is my favorite thing! Awesome post!
    Please feel free to check out my blog and if it interests you hit the follow button! Always happy to have more followers!

8. delphini510 says:

Thank you, it is very fascinating reading all these quotes. To some degree it tells us to live and learn from our own lives and not via the lives within the pages. A good balance seems to be in order and perhaps choice of books that stimulate the mind.
    The Einstein one tickled me as I talked to a friend yesterday who said they were going to the theatre. Oh, that is lovely, said I. To which the answer was, well we go a couple of times a week.
    I am sure they were thinking too. It does seem that it is exclusive addiction that is dangerous.
    miriam

9. Pingback: Links (2018-04-27) | Featured Futures

10. Pingback: Creative Juice #91 | ARHtistic License

11. Pingback: Wednesday Blog For All – A Peace of Life

12. Jason Frels says:

I am also reminded of the cliché that one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. But that is often how I make my first impression of a book and judge whether to look further into it or not.

• I have heard many good arguments for judging a book by its cover and I agree with some of them. Personally though, I don’t bother to look at the cover that much as I’m more interested with the content. After skimming the book for some time, I could already determine whether I’d just skim the books further to search for little gems (if any), read it (in a casual manner), or read it more critically.

If I judge books by their covers, I would have missed several great books.

But since I also like to read old books, it’s expected that those books’ covers aren’t good.

• I share your interest in books and agree with your philosophy about them; I have a collection of books (more cookbooks than anything else) but have wall to wall books throughout my house and my BF, who passed away in 2011, created a library for my fiction and some of my presidential collection in half of the garage in 2010. We went from about 3000 sq feet of living space to 1500 in 2008–gave away hundreds (thousands?) of books, generally donated to the local friends of the Libraries in our area. Thanks much for your insight. – sandyscookbookchatter

13. Many words of wisdom, by many wise ones, and then some not.
    Great words.

14. Ekta Singh says:

Great quotes!

15. Pingback: The Simple Catholic

16. John says:

In my youth I read a lot of books, but have to admit that I have been very bad at reading books. My last book I bought was The Broker of John Grisham more than ten years ago. I have not yet opened it …

17. Graci says:

My all-time favorite: “Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.” — Francis Bacon
    Thanks for sharing..

18. Interesting quote by Arthur Schopenhauer

19. GoofyEd says:

So many of these pre-internet quotes are more poignant today.

20. Jack Shalom says:

Love the Stephen King quote. Thanks.

I like John Locke’s quote as I often think that way when I meet egotistical people who think they have read alot of books and know everything! Sheesh!

22. mistermuse says:

Much wisdom among those quotes.

23. Ayesha says:

Wonderful.. Happy World Books Day!

24. ljphd says:

The quote by Poe is great. I have heard people say the same about the internet, but it seems to be a much older problem.

25. i liked francis
    Bacon and Anon the best.

26. ivor20 says:

I truly associate with the quote by Arthur Schopenhauer

27. commememucho says:

Your quote “It is not enough to simply teach children to read; we have to give them something worth reading” is outstanding in itself. It says so much…

28. Some wonderful quotes here. Thank you, Edmark. I enjoyed savouring each and every one.

The one by Pope wins hands down.

I’m surprised you found quotes from so many learned writers (and Stephen King) that were less than complimentary on books and reading…

• Abigail says:

Agreed about the Pope quote.

I don’t think the writers are criticizing books and reading so much as the excess of sub-standard publications and the exchange of thinking with reading, done with the misguided perception that reading is the same as thinking, as Locke observed.

The quotes all make good points. Some of them remind me of the kingdom of Laputa in Gulliver’s Travels, full of learned men who studied too much and applied too little.

• masercot says:

I would’ve agreed with that fifteen years ago; but, now I think reading books… any books is essentially just for the act of reading for an extended period. In my opinion, it is a form of meditation where letters are read a words and turned to symbols and then to concepts…

• Abigail says:

True, true. I don’t mean to demean the “quality” of some book or other. The act of reading any work is beneficial, if not academic edification then at least for pleasure. I like what you said about reading being a form of meditation. Considering that I tuck myself away in my room with a book when my younger brothers are aggravating me, I agree with that.

• I like to collect quotes. It’s one of my ways to waste time…