Not Lost In Translation: A Curious Language Anecdote

Vladimir_Nabokov_1973b

Vladimir Nabokov

Vladimir Nabokov, in his 1962 novel Pale Fire, related a remarkable, albeit probably apocryphal, Russian language anecdote. The story went that a newspaper which covered the coronation ceremony of a Tsar “accidentally” misprinted “корона” (korona) (crown) as “ворона” (vorona) (crow). The following day, the newspaper apologized for the error and promptly “corrected” it. However, the word was misprinted once again as “корова” (korova) (cow).

According to Nabokov, “The artistic correlation between the crown-crow-cow series and the Russian koronavoronakorova series is something that would have, I am sure, enraptured my poet.” He also believed that the probability of having a language coincidence like this is so minuscule that it may as well elude computation.

This entry was posted in Anecdotes, Language, Oddities and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Not Lost In Translation: A Curious Language Anecdote

1. acheblogweb says:

One of the many reasons why I love learning languages, a single letter can change everything…

2. anne leueen says:

Spanish has that tricky thing of casada and cansada. One means ‘tired’ and the other ‘married’. In my ignorance I once told someone in Argentina that I was “very married”.

3. B. says:

This is really intriguing…

4. craftysurf says:

Fake news 😳😂😂😂

5. pvcann says:

This was a great piece, and it sure made me smile.

6. curioussteph says:

Perfectly possible now in the times of autocorrect

• He’s not talking about the “misprints” as they were intentional. What he meant was the coincidence between the two languages is not a common one.

Nonetheless, autocorrect can be messy. I personally don’t use it but I have received too many emails and messages with weird and hilarious errors to know.

7. ivor20 says:

The last piece of your article amused me greatly, “having a language coincidence like this is so minuscule that it may as well elude computation.”

8. Reblogged this on Travel and commented:
    Interesting things happen when we write. Language coincidence.

The old Korova Milk Bar satisfies this malchick real horrorshow.

Oh, and let me recommend Invitation to a Beheading to people who think all he wrote was Lolita.