War Never Changes

29A2C24800000578-3125088-image-a-44_1435048816158.jpg

A graffiti on the wall of a fortress of Verdun discovered by an American magazine reporter in 1945:

Austin White – Chicago, Ill. – 1918
Austin White – Chicago, Ill. – 1945
This is the last time I want to write my name here.

Reference

The New York Times, August 14, 1985

This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to War Never Changes

1. acheblogweb says:

Woow, that’s… a powerful message

2. Abigail says:

Whenever I learn about the World Wars, that thought passes my mind: Soldiers who fought in WWI, perhaps believing that it was indeed the war to end all wars, also saw the battlefield led than three decades later in WWII. That would make a worthwhile story…

3. Pingback: History Can Repeat, if We Don’t Get It Right the First Time – CRAIN'S COMMENTS

4. lindasschaub says:

Sad and rather chilling isn’t it?

5. Incredible. What are the odds?!

6. Greetings my friend l trust this finds you well and in fine fettle 🙂
    i have nominated your blog for the Mystery Bloggers’ Award 🙂

7. Mr. Mel says:

I saw the title and the first thought that came to me was,”boy, ain’t that the truth”. You can only hope that his grandchildren won’t need to write theirs.👍

8. Siobhán says:

Nothing changes only time

Good lord! “May you live in interesting times” personified…