Quotable #58: Superstition

“It is true that that may hold in these things, which is the general root of superstition; namely, that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss; and commit to memory the one, and forget and pass over the other.” — Francis Bacon

Edit: I apologize to those who only saw a blank post. I’m not sure how it happened but I think that it’s a glitch since when I viewed my post by pressing “Edit”, the text was there.

So, I tried to press “Update” and fortunately, the post is showing now.

This entry was posted in Quotations and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Quotable #58: Superstition

1. Abigail says:

I don’t understand the quote. Should the first line read “It is true that that MANY hold in these things”?

• In this case, “may” means “power”. It’s an archaic usage which I think disappeared around two hundred years ago. However, this usage for “might” still exists.

• Abigail says:

Ah, that helps the quote make more sense. Thanks for the clarification. Bacon gives an accurate perspective on superstition: they are the result of focusing on some details and forgetting others. Also, I think some superstitions have stuck even when science or common sense have ruled them out because they’re comforting.

2. If by chance the update failed, we would be assured that the post was worthy. So happy you were able to fix it. Bacon never missed his mark.

3. lindasschaub says:

Interesting quote – like when we remember some things as golden, when in reality they are tarnished.

4. anne leueen says:

I see the quote. So…am I a “hit” and not a “miss”? Ah, the Gnomes of the Infernalnet!

5. That that was a sweet quote (in this world of the miseducated blind)! 🙂

6. FMR says:

Even the blank post was nice… But this quote is great.
    Regards, Franz

7. It’s still not there… could you type it out in the comments? Or is this a joke beyond my level of understanding?

8. Great quote !! In the beginning couldn’t see the quote than opened your main page and now it’s readable

9. I’m afraid I don’t see anything but a title… (and an advert or two). Or did I miss the point?

You seem a quote short…