Dress Code

noel-coward.png

It can be rather awkward if you appear at an event wearing casual clothes while everyone is wearing formal attire and vice versa. Nonetheless, playwright and actor Noël Coward didn’t falter when a similar event happened to him. In 1918, Coward was invited to a gathering organized by Tomorrow Club, which was composed of literary bigwigs at the time.

Coward went to the meeting without knowing the dress code. He arrived there looking like he was going to a job interview, only to find that everybody was wearing casual clothes. Everyone’s attention was on him as he walked inside the venue. He then paused for a moment in the doorway and said, “Now, I don’t want anybody to feel embarrassed.”

Reference

Cole Lesley, The Life of Noël Coward, 1976

This entry was posted in Anecdotes, Entertainment, Humor and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Dress Code

1. Viola Bleu says:

Imagine having the quick wit to think of that!!!

2. Ayesha says:

Superb.. 🙂

3. lindasschaub says:

His quick wit saved the day.

4. Noel Coward, the only man to know how to make the best of whatever he said.

5. anne leueen says:

That is SO Noel Coward.

6. Ha! Love it. Thank you for your interest in my blog and i look forward to following yours.

7. delphini510 says:

It takes humour and wit to pull this off. Well done Noel Coward, the comment broke the ice
    and there was no awkwardness.
    miriam

8. shoreacres says:

Anyone with the confidence to wear that tie with that jacket can handle any situation.

9. Brandy says:

What confidence! May we all inspire to feel the same:)

10. Abigail says:

I’d rather be the one very well-dressed attendee to an informal party than be the one casually-dressed attendee to a formal one.

• There was this party I attended before. No dress code was required but everyone was wearing formal clothing except for that one guy who’s wearing a t-shirt and jeans. He was so embarrassed and quickly leaved…

11. ESP says: