The is a guest post by Prince Kapoor.
You will always find mathematics at the base of any and all fields related to technology and science. Some of the biggest mysteries of the universe such as the big bang theory and black holes can be solved by using mathematics. For some people, the thought of formulas and equations can be extremely boring. However, on the other hand, some will see the same formulas and equations in a completely different light and will use them as a source of fun. As a matter of fact, pure mathematics is widely known as the poetry of logical ideas.
It does not matter whether you think mathematics is boring or fun, we all agree that the subject and the vastness of mathematics is very huge and covers every corner of the universe. As it is such a vast topic, it is bound to have a ton of awesome facts that will most certainly blow your mind. Here the team of etutorworld has managed to compile a list of 11 awesome facts about mathematics that will completely blow your mind:
- A lot of mathematicians have claimed that a tie can be a knot in a whopping 177,147 different ways. How many have you tried in your life?
- The combinations of digits from 0 to 9 result in a total of 100.
123 – 45 – 67 + 89 = 100
123 + 4 – 5 + 67 – 89 = 100
123 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 + 8 – 9 = 100
1 + 23 – 4 + 5 + 6 + 78 – 9 = 100
- There is a phenomenon in mathematics called the birthday paradox. Now, according to the birthday paradox, in a group of consists of 23 people, there is a 50 percent (the exact probability is 50.7297 percent) chance that that there will at least be two people who will have their birthday on the same date and this chance increases as the group of random individual increases. There will be a 99.9% chance that two people have the same birthdate in a group of 70 random individuals as you can see in the chart below:
Just imagine you are at a party and think about this statistic, there will be a high chance that two people will share their birthdates and will never know about it!
- Now, this is one of the simplest facts on mathematics but its beauty lies in the simplicity of it. If you decide to multiply 21,978 by 4, the result will be the complete reversal of the original number 87,912. It is the little things like these that make mathematics so interesting.
- This one right here will prove once and for all that mathematics is not boring whatsoever and it can also crack an odd dirty joke every once in a while! Did you know the fact that the result of
[6 x 9] + [6 + 9] = 69.
- Did you know the largest prime number ever discovered? No? Well, we don’t either. However, we do know the length of the largest prime number to ever be discovered and brace yourself because it is a whopping 22 million digits long! Yes, you read it right, there was no typo. It is actually 22 million digits long and if you were to scroll down on that number in full speed, you would not reach the end of it before 20 minutes. Imagine just scrolling for 20 minutes and if you want to actually see the whole number then best of luck to you my friend, hope you are prepared with snacks and a lot of time to kill on your hands.
- You might not know this, but a lot of Arabic numbers which are constantly used in the modern world were actually invented in India. Apparently, 0 was not the only one.
- Sir Isaac Newton managed to discover Calculus in about the same average time it takes a student to actually learn it. It makes you wonder how good of a teacher he was to have taught himself something that was not even in the syllabus.
- This is one of the most well known and fun facts in mathematics that if you were to multiply the number [111,111,111] with [111,111,111] you will actually get [12,345,678,987,654,321]. Take a look at the image below to see the whole pyramid of it:
- Let us assume that the radius of a pizza is “z” and the height of that pizza is “a” then the volume of that pizza will be Pi × z × z × a.
- Last but one of our favorite fact about mathematics: If you were to really shuffle the cards of a deck, there is a very good chance that you will end up with a configuration that no one in the world has ever created. You might think the card games are very limited since there are only 52 cards in a deck, however, there is a massive number of combinations that you can arrange your deck of cards and the number is. Are you ready?
This is such an astronomical number that makes it completely possible for you to arrange a deck of cards in such a way that has never been arranged before.
Hope you found all these facts interesting and this article has ignited a mathematical flame in your heart to get a better understanding of this subject. There are millions of amazing things that mathematics can do, all you need to do is have a little interest and look for them as they are all around you!
Prince Kapoor is a seasoned Marketing Analyst and Blogger. With his skills, he has been helping fellow marketers and brands worldwide. You can reach him out at www.princekapoor.com