This is a guest post by Alivia Cora.
Sleep has always been an effective remedy for curing pain and sorrow. However, until around 25 years ago, we knew little about sleep. Fortunately, today with the continuous research and study, there is so much to know about the magical sleep moments.
On average, a human spent one-third of his life sleeping. But, what happens in that one-third part of his life is not very clear. Therefore, sleep has become interesting for everyone to find more about it. Things like how sleep affects the human body and help it to recover are some of the common questions researchers ponder about.
Here we are going to discuss 12 amazing facts about sleep that you might haven’t heard of:
- Do you prefer disturbance-free sleep? Then probably lesser altitude is the best place for you to sleep. If you are traveling to a place higher than 13,200 feet, you are going get more disturbance during the night than on the lesser altitude place. This happens due to lack of oxygen in the air and change in the respiration system of your body. It takes around two to three weeks time to adjust with the new altitude.
- People who are suffering from mental stress or issues tend to incline more towards insomnia than other people. For instance, you must have seen divorced or separated people struggling to sleep often than the people with a better life.
- Do you know which drug is the most popular around the world? It’s Caffeine. Almost everybody consumes caffeine at least once a day in the form of coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate, or soft drinks. however, caffeine is also an addiction that affects your sleep quality, therefore, make sure you limit its consumption.
- Did you know that humans are the only animal that delays their sleep intentionally? Only we can compromise sleep over exams and other important events. Is this good news or bad news for you?
- How many of you feel sleepy after your lunch hours? Well, that happens because of natural sleep tendency of the body to force us to sleep at two times a day and that is 2:00 AM and 2:00 PM. So now you know, it’s not your lunch’s fault, its completely natural and everyone feels the same. It’s the matter of the sleep intensity which depends on your excitement levels.
- International Classifications of Sleep Disorders has confirmed that shift workers are more prone to chronic illnesses like cardiovascular and gastrointestinal diseases. Now, this one is scary.
- How many of you choose other activities over your sleep? It’s time to rectify your mistakes and correct it. Your sleep is also very important for your complete healthy brain and body. It is as important as a good diet or exercise.
- Have you ever wondered about the newborn’s sleeping habit? They sleep for more than 14 to 17 hours a day. Yes, it is true, they are awake only for 5 to 6 hours in a day and even that happens in two to three intervals. How lucky, they are!
- This one is for all the new parents, infants can learn to fall asleep themselves. If you put them on the bed when they are drowsy but, not asleep. Isn’t this a relief? You can train your kid to become self-soother and sleep better even if you are not around. Practice this trick to avoid midnight wake up calls from your little demons.
- Do you snore while sleeping? Well, your partner might be aware of it as the fact says that snoring is the primary cause of sleep disruption. More than 90% of American suffer from this trouble. So, find if your partner is among that 90% or not.
- Do animal dreams? This is going to be a long time mystery as till date scientist have no confirmation if animals are able to dream or not. This might not affect you much but, this is definitely affecting many scientists who are trying to find some data about animal sleep.
- Lack of sleep can make you more hungry. According to the National Sleep Foundation, people who don’t get enough sleep are likely to have a bigger appetite. The reason for this is fall in their leptin levels which are appetite-regulating hormones and the fall in its level increases your appetite.
Isn’t these sleep facts are mind-blowing? We regularly do the same things but, very few of us actually pay attention to the minor details or facts of the matter. Similarly, we sleep every day and never knew these incredible facts about sleep. However, one of the most important thing about sleep is that it is very crucial to living a completely healthy life. Your body utilizes the sleep for recovering its energy and other body cells which keeps your body free from disease and enables you to stay active for a longer age. If you want to know more about the sleep-related topics, Voonky is a great site which likes to share its knowledge with you. Hope you enjoyed the read and, feel free to share this with your friends and family.
References (Click to Show)
Alivia Cora works as a sleep expert at Voonky, a resource providing sleep education, mattress tips, and home decoration. She writes about the various ways to improve your sleep quality. Every post she writes is her way of helping mankind to meet their needs.